Building CHICAGO

Liam Richardson, Contributor

The musical Chicago was performed at John Jay the weekend of March 10th, 2016.  Every musical John Jay puts on is the culmination of three months of hard work by the members of the cast and crew. From Rehearsing to Building the Set the process by which a Musical is put on is demanding, but ultimately very rewarding.  Often when viewing the polished end product, it is easy to take the set and scene changes for granted. The construction of particular set was demanding overcoming both technical and logistical hurdles.  Nothing permanent could be screwed into the stage until a month before the production, so students working on the set pulled long hours to get it finished on time.  In these photographs I sought out to document both the progress of set construction and the students who made Chicago possible.   

• Stage crew Members on the first construction weekend Clean the theater and begin building borders to frame the set.

• Jackson Mingle uses a staple gun to cover a border in duvetine, a fabric material used to create a flat black appearance.

• Jack Brotman, Doug Orlovitz, and Jack Lynch cut plywood to face the platforms and staircases.

• Caitlin Cullen and Abigail Wilson assemble the framework for a staircase.

• Shannon O’Rourke Cuts two by four in to be used for the main platform.

• Students put up the frame of the set on the fourth weekend

• Building this free standing light up “CHICAGO” sign was one of the bigger challenges and wasn’t put up until the weekend before Opening Night

• Among the final steps in construction is to hang and focus lights

• These crew members were responsible for all of Chicago’s set changes

• The Finished Chicago set after Opening Night.