A Conversation With Steven Siciliano, the New JJHS Principal

In June, John Jay High School welcomed a new principal, Steven Siciliano, who comes to us from Harrison High School, where he also served as principal. Before that, Mr. Siciliano, who lives with his family in Somers, pursued a varied career in both urban and suburban secondary education and administration. Mr. Siciliano recently sat down to talk to The Focus about his transition to John Jay:

How have your first weeks been?

Really good. This is a great place – – the students are great; the teachers are great.  I’m learning how we do things here and learning the history of the high school, and so far I’ve been very pleased.

Has anything surprised you about our school community?

In many ways John Jay is a typical American high school, and the things that we do here are very much what I’m accustomed to. Probably with more school spirit than at some other places – – Spirit week is a great example of that – – which is wonderful.

What is a goal you’d like to achieve in your first year here?

Building relationships, getting people to know me and me to know them. I’d like to see the different groups within the high school community interacting more, reinforcing a high school culture in which everyone knows one other and feels connected to one another. I think that’s important.

Before you became a principal, did you teach a class? if so, in what subject?

I was a social studies teacher. I worked in both the inner city and also in the suburbs in Long Island. I taught AP US History and Government, as well as co-teaching in special education. I also taught night school, which was interesting.

Do you have any kids of your own? If so, what grades are they in?

I do. I have Tanner, who is going into the ninth grade, and my younger, Jagger, who is going into the sixth grade. So I know what it’s like now to have kids going into high school and middle school.

Does having kids of your own change the way you would approach kids at our school? If so, how would it change your perspective?

Well, just having kids will grow you — you learn to be patient and that sometimes it’s important to communicate more than once.

When you were in high school, what kind of kid were you?

711asu241aI moved in December of ninth-grade, and that was pretty catastrophic. Everything I’d known was now gone, and it was all about learning to fit in in a new place, so I kind of felt a bit withdrawn at that time, but then I got involved with sports. I became the varsity soccer co-captain. That’s what brought me back out of my shell.  I connected with other students, then got involved with a band and had a good time.

Wow! You were all over the place. Did you have a favorite subject in high school? What did you like about it?

English and social studies were very big for me. Harold Baron, my English teacher, really brought out creative writing. And I really just enjoyed the affirmation I received in his class — he was a great teacher. Another favorite: Lynn Castillo, a studies teacher– – he was a great influence on me too.

Is there a movie about school or teachers that has inspired you? Why?

Yes. “Dead Poets Society” is probably required viewing for any educator in August.

Is there any message you would like to send to our school community?

I care about you. I want to work with you. I want us to reach our potential.