Filed under Entertainment

Daddy’s Home 2: Movie Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Daddy’s Home 2: Movie Review

With Christmas just around the corner, it’s likely that you’ve recently been subjected to the seemingly never ending array of Christmas movie commercials that begin popping up right around this time.

In one of this year’s releases, two of everyone’s favorite B-list actors take center stage in Daddy’s Home 2, a Christmas movie about, you guessed it, two families finally being brought together through the magic of Christmas.

Frankly, I’m not usually one to turn my nose up at an ultra-cheesy holiday movie, not to mention one starring Will Ferrell, but this film, this was just tragic. As the title suggests, the movie is a continuation of Daddy’s Home, the first of the two films that was released back  in 2015, and in my opinion, was the first and only one that needed to be released.

First of all, the movie’s storyline was so unrealistic, that it made it difficult to keep interest throughout. The plot revolves around father Dusty (Mark Wahlberg), and stepfather Brad (Will Ferrell), who plan a joint Christmas celebration in hopes of bringing their two families closer together for the sake of the kids. Though there is already enough material to work with here…the plot thickens! When planning a Christmas at home doesn’t quite work out, Dusty and Brad decide to book a last minute vacation at a log mansion for Christmas, when both of their father’s, who happen to be replicas of their sons, decide to come along for the ride.

Chaos doesn’t even begin to describe this movie. Anything and everything that could possibly go wrong proceeds to do just that. From a major father-son conflict and a shoplifting stepmom, to a shotgun-shooting seven year old and an accidental purchase of a multi-thousand dollar Christmas tree…this movie contains every element of absurdity.

The reason I wasn’t particularly crazy about this movie was due to the endless amounts of corny, distasteful jokes, (hearing Mel Gibson’s character crack womanizing jokes just hit a little too close to home), and the sub-par acting jobs done by Ferrell, Wahlberg, and most notably, Alessandra Ambrosio, who’s poor execution of the three simple lines she did have during the movie made her almost too painful to watch.

With all that having been said, I still did laugh. Sure, the laughs were triggered by how truly terrible every scene of the movie was, but they were laughs nonetheless. This film is rated pg-13, and I’d say that is the age you should be watching this movie at if you want to get the most out of the experience. For anyone over that age limit, I’d suggest not wasting twelve bucks.