Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

The Best of the Best: The Governor’s Ball Music Festival

The Governor's Ball Music Festival

The Governor's Ball Music Festival

The Governor's Ball Music Festival

Concerts, shows, and music festivals take place all the time throughout the year. But every June is what millions of people really have their minds set on: The Governor’s Ball Music Festival at Randall’s Island, NY. Launched in 2011, the festival features an array of genres and styles of music, including rock, electronic, hip-hop, indie, Americana, pop, folk, and more. For weeks on end, all I hear about in the beginning of every June is teenagers (and even adults) raving about this venue as one of the greatest music festivals across the country. Although I haven’t yet been myself, the countless Snapchat stories and Instagram pictures make it seem like this is one of the better places to be in NYC.

Besides the trendy, mouth watering food and the high-tech activities taking place at Gov Ball, people mostly chat about the music icons and performances (which quite frankly is what they came for). Despite all of the headliners taking the stages, I’ve heard only positive things about one performance, A$AP Ferg, blowing away Chance the Rapper, Flume, and Childish Gambino. I’ve asked dozens of people about their Gov Ball experience, and right away I somehow always end up hearing about A$AP Ferg’s performance. Not only was the music amazing, but attendees have said the atmosphere was by far the best. Mosh pits, content people, and of course loud music is what drew in all of the grade A reviews. Not to mention, he gave the crowd something to get hype about by performing his older, yet most popular songs: “New Level,” “Goldie,” and “Work.” However, the crowd may have gotten too hype, given that people who weren’t ready to get bodies slammed against them from all sides rapidly left. Just what the hometown hero of NYC wanted to see.

It would seem like it would be hard to top A$AP Ferg’s time on stage, but from what I’ve heard, Rae Sremmurd came close. It was Sremmurd’s first time back at The Ball since 2015, and he made the crowd realize just how much they really missed them. Gov Ball attendee, Laragh Cronin, a Junior at John Jay, said “The DJ who opened for Sremmurd got the crowd excited with his original beats and drumming. The unique opening really appealed to a lot of fans.” Sremmurd seemed to open and close with the same electrifying energy. Sremmurd has made multiple top hits over the past couple of years, but thanks to his most popular song, “Black Beatles,” he had the Bacardi tent overloaded with his crazy fans. 

Throughout all of the reviews I’ve gotten, these two artists are what I heard to be the best of the best at Gov Ball. And of course, the friendly people, perfect weather, electrifying atmosphere, and unique food trucks definitely added onto the true experience on the island. Sydney Rappa, a Junior at John Jay, thought these food trucks made the festival. She shares that “The first five bites of the funnel cake that I had were the best five bites of my life. But then I was full.” Sounds good to me! But really, the only way to truly discover the greatness of Gov Ball is to go see for yourself; go and see how NYC runs their music festivals.