Science Research: An Introspective Student Analysis

Many students at John Jay have heard of the unique course, Science Research, aka “SciRe.” Science Research is perhaps one of the most challenging but rewarding courses of study offered here. For those who are not familiar with it, SciRe is a three-year independent research program branded towards scientifically inquisitive students that wish to conduct individual research on a chosen area. These students are required to find a mentor, that could be an accredited professor, independent researcher, doctor, etc, that will guide them through their research. The mentoring process is known to be grueling, as it can take up to a year to find someone willing to give their time. However, it is one of the most gratifying experiences when it turns out.

During sophomore year, students contact possible mentors doing current research on their topic. Juniors start to conduct research and gather data, as well as present it to their classmates and enter preliminary competitions. During the last year, seniors finalize their data and develop a project that’s presented at major forums and competitions, such as the Regeneron Science Talent Search. Finalists at Regeneron can win up to $250,000 – enough to cover four years of undergraduate education.

As a senior at John Jay High School, I am in my final year of Science Research. I have finished collecting data, begun to present my formal oral to our class, and have entered the Regeneron STS competition. To gain insight on the research process as a whole, I sat down with some other SciRe students and asked them how their experience has been so far, and/or if it has turned out the way they expected it to:

“I’m glad I took it because the lessons I’ve learned about self-determination and curiosity are ones that will be valuable in the future.” – Lukas Dorta, Sophomore

“I learned a lot in Science Research, especially about how to make a presentation and conducting groundbreaking scientific research. My classmates taught me the importance of formatting correctly.” – Evan Schwartz, Junior

“Over the course of fourteen months, trial and error, and 110 emails, keeping my perseverance and determination within SciRe helped me in finally securing a mentor, Dr. Walter of Cornell University. We hope to monitor climate change and greenhouse gas emissions in New York City.  Perseverance is the key to success, working for the prize comes with a rough road in between.” – Ashley Stagnari, Junior

“I won’t say that the class was easy and that there weren’t points where I thought I couldn’t keep up with the work, but I am extremely proud of myself and the other seniors for not only completing the program but making impactful and exciting discoveries.” – Heather Sherr, Senior

It’s safe to say that Science Research is worth the extra stress, time and effort. It’s an incredible feeling to be able to present research that you conducted independently, especially as just a high schooler. If you’re a scientifically ambitious, curious and resourceful student, Science Research is the perfect course to take on in your schedule.

Image Source: Regeneron-STS-2017.jpg