Filed under Opinions

Why Air Raid Deserves Independent Study

Ultimate Disc, commonly known as Ultimate Frisbee, is a sport similar to rugby but
without significant contact. The game involves throwing a disc down a field until eventually it is
caught in the end zone and a point is scored. It is a complex and physically taxing sport. For
those who are unaware, John Jay has two Ultimate Disc teams: Air Raid and Bear Raid (Air
Raid being the A team and Bear Raid being the B team). You can often see these teams playing
in the front lawn after school. They do, after all, practice for two hours a day, everyday.
Despite playing on a competitive Ultimate Disc team, the players on Air Raid do not
receive independent study or varsity option. This is unacceptable. Air Raid deserves
independent study for a multitude of reasons. The first and foremost reason being that the
players on Air Raid complete way more than enough physical activity outside of school to
replace physical education (gym class).
Air Raid players practice a total of nine to ten hours per week. On Monday, Tuesday,
Wednesday, and Thursday they practice for just over two hours and on Friday they practice for
one hour. For the whole time, they are practicing skills, running plays, and playing in
scrimmages. Ultimate Disc is an extremely physically demanding sport that requires its players
to constantly alternate jogging, sprinting, jumping, and diving non-stop for one to five minute
points.
Some may joke around or genuinely argue that Ultimate Disc is not a sport and therefore
should not give its players independent study. These people are flat out wrong. Ultimate Disc
has been recognized by the International Olympic Committee and is eligible for the 2024
Olympics. It has also been included in the World Games since 2001. The players on Air Raid
are all USA Ultimate registered and place in the top ten teams at the NY State Tournament
every spring.
It is possible that it is simply not known whether Air Raiders can get Independent Study.
The New York Department of Education, however,largely leaves the matter of independent
study up to the individual school. Meaning all it takes is convincing the John Jay Board of
Education. I encourage everyone on the Board of Education or who are simply curious to join
Air Raid in the front lawn or at Fox Valley after school to see if they really do deserve
independent study. I’m positive that they will impressed with the hard work and commitment of
John Jay Air Raiders.