All You Need To Know About John Jay’s New Security Measures

John Jay High School has recently implemented a new rule that every door minus a few doors will lock at the beginning of first-period until the last bell rings at the end of the day. This new rule is in response to the Florida shooting and an attempt to make our school a safer place.

There are a few flaws with this new rule one of them involving the people who have first free. The doors to the school close at 8:15 and although it is not that long of a walk up to the main doors, when it is cold or raining out, that walk is not enjoyable. Kids who have first free should be able to show their schedule and prove that they have first free so they are able to sleep in and come into school whenever they would like without having to walk to the main doors.

Also, there is sometimes more traffic than expected on the roads. Even kids who come in at 8:16 are forced to walk up to the front, no matter the weather. This does not only make kids late to their first-period class but additionally makes kids walk around the school for no reason. There is no reason for every door in the school to be opened, however, the Q door should be opened at all times since there are many juniors, seniors, and administrators that park near those doors.

Another flaw is not letting any students or monitors open the doors. If a monitor or student knows another student, they should be able to let that student into the building. Another solution is opening more doors and posting a monitor at each of these open doors. There are three doors constantly opened on one side of the building but absolutely no doors opened near Q wing where a monitor normally sits anyway. If they want to cut the building down to having three doors opened it should be the main door, Q door, and the gym door with a monitor posted at each one of them.