John Jay Swim Team Having Great Season So Far, Winning Four of Six Meets

BREWSTER, NY – Did you know that John Jay has a boys swim team?  Probably not.  Chances are you haven’t seen us leave for practice at 5 AM when we get on a bus for our ride to Green Chimneys in Brewster.  Despite the early mornings, the combined John Jay and Brewster Swim Team (JJ Brew) has had an impressive start to its 2017-2018 season, winning four of the first six meets, barely losing one of them to Scarsdale at Green Chimneys.

In their first meet of the season against Suffern, JJ Brew placed first in 9 of the 11 events, beating Suffern by 5 points (58 – 53).  Against Scarsdale, the team lost by a narrow margin of 6 points as some of their best swimmers were at other USA swim meets.  Despite that, the 200 Medley Relay team of Zach Boies, Brian and Kevin Crane, and Sam Sweeney made the cut for states with a time of 1:40.10.

That was followed by a much needed win over New Rochelle (51.5 – 42.5) with star swimmers such as Zach Boies taking the win in the 200 Freestyle (with a time of 1:52.10) and Kevin Crane and Victor Kai taking first and second in the 200 Individual Medley with times of 2:01.86 and 2:12.59, respectively.

However, they took a huge blow against Horace Greeley when they lost to them 95-77, only winning in 3 events, losing in 7 events, and tieing in only 1 events.  To make matters worse, Greeley also had a dive team, which didn’t help JJ Brew’s situation, since they don’t have a dive team and Greeley won 13 extra points because of their dive team.    

But they wouldn’t let one bad loss bring themselves down.  The team redeemed themselves in their next meet against Fox Lane, where they won 52-42, winning in 5 events, tieing in 5 events, and only losing one event.  Keeping their spirits high, they dominated over North Rockland (94-84), despite North Rockland having an unfair advantage by having a dive team.

Let’s see if JJ Brew can keep up this momentum and have lots of swimmers go to sectionals and states!