The Lockout Drill: A Critical Overview

The Lockout Drill: A Critical Overview

October 25th, 2017. After nearly five hours, the last few John Jay students were released from the school after a dangerous armed robbery shook the Cross River area and sent the school into a lock down. Many believed the lockout would only last an hour or so, but were infuriated by the extensive time that they had to wait in order to be picked up. Extreme precautionary measures were taken to keep everyone inside the building safe.

Mrs. Piccolino stressed that the most important thing was that every student and staff member got home safely. Mandating each and every student to return home with a parent achieved the safe removal of every student.

However, most students reflect poorly on how the school handled the safety dismissal. Students were held until 8 pm, as many parents work late or in the city and could not pick up their children. Mrs. Piccolino did mention that, in the event that the school must perform and emergency lockout and dismissal, they would try increasing the number of locations from which the administration would dismiss the students. This would help alleviate some of the congestion in the hallways and make the parent pickups far more efficient. This improvement, however, does not address the problem that most of the students point out in the procedure.

A possible resolution for this issue would be allowing those who drove to school to drive themselves straight home. A restricted roadway would be put into place to ensure no students come close to the area of crime. This would decrease the amount of congestion and immediately remove 1/4th of the student body from the school, contributing to a more efficient dismissal time. Another option would be a mandatory bus dismissal. All students would be taken directly home and picked up the following morning, and those who had cars at the school could drive home after school.

While the lockout and emergency dismissal were safely executed, the school district has many improvements to make to their drills and planning to ensure the physical safety and mental well being of the student body.