Kickin’ into Senior Year

JJ+seniors+hold+their+last+tailgate+before+the+big+homecoming+game.+

JJ seniors hold their last tailgate before the big homecoming game.

Finally, you pull into the crowded school lot and can easily find a parking spot in L, in Upper Q, at the track, or by the gym… the number of options are overwhelming.

Senior year. This is it.

Let me start by saying this: senior year lives up to the hype. As I came into school on the very first day and stood at the senior rail, I could not believe that we were the oldest. I vividly remember shaking as I scurried through the halls from class to class as a freshmen…even as a sophomore. Seeing my 292-person grade morph into this responsible, mature, and close-knit group of friends is incredible. To all of the similarly nervous freshmen: please savor this time.

Kicking off the school year with a (very) early homecoming football game followed by a festive week of spirit wear, I can honestly say that I’m going to miss these JJ traditions. As I stood on the very first bleacher waving the American flag alongside the rest of our tribe, I reflect on how far myself, as well as my grade, has come. I cannot believe that this is my last homecoming, my last “purple-out” at a football game, my last spirit week… etc. Along with these school-wide traditions, senior year proved to hold some traditions of it’s own. From painting the windows of your car to having early morning tailgates before each day of spirit week to blasting music throughout the halls, these are the little moments you will remember.

Our school’s early homecoming football game this year left the students with an enormous win. Including a peppy dance squad performance and a festive halftime float parade, this homecoming was proven to be one of the best (or maybe that’s just the nostalgic senior in me speaking). With the theme of summer, the seniors won the parade carrying a speed boat, a life-size jeep wrangler, and an ice cream truck around the track. This year, our float building work-days truly brought together the grade as a whole, further displaying how far our grade has come.

As looming college deadlines haunt the senior class, I strongly advise these stressed-out students to  breathe and enjoy the little moments of senior year. It is month two and I can already tell that this school year is going to be one of the best. So, to all of you rising underclassmen, take in the high school experience day by day and prepare yourself for your very last unforgettable year.