Student Opinions on the Upcoming Election

Wrapping up one of the most polarized presidential races in recent history, Election day will take place next Tuesday. We all know how the media feels about this election, but do we know how our peers feel? To answer this question, I posed it to one student in each grade level: “What do you think of this presidential election?”

First, I asked freshman Gabriella DeCicco. She told me, “This election is a disgrace. This election is so unserious. The candidates keep getting off topic and it’s not just a debate anymore. It’s not serious and not professional.” Compared to previous elections, this election seems like a skit from Saturday Night Live. I then asked a sophomore for his opinion. He did not want his name mentioned, but told me, “I find it funny when the candidates argue.” In elections past, candidates did not make personal attacks against each other during debates, maintaining a formal and presidential demeanor, in striking contrast to the nonsensical banter we’ve seen throughout the race. Next, I asked a junior who also wanted to remain anonymous. He said, “This presidential election has been everything but what it’s supposed to be. When fighting for one of the most important jobs in the world, one would expect to have very well-prepared individuals, not people who only care about defending their self-image or promising things without explaining how to enact them.” Many people agree with this, because it is, indeed, true. We should have people running for office who care about the country rather than about their own self-image. Lastly, I asked senior Paige Rossi how she felt about the election. Her response: “This election is like no other. The media is making it more of a reality show than anything.” It does seem like a reality show. I, too, need to keep reminding myself that this is a real presidential race, not a show.

Well, November 8th should be an interesting night. What do you think about this election?