JJMUN Notches a Top-Five Finish at UNISMUNC

Four students win awards as John Jay’s Model UN club continues to rise in prominence

John Jay Model United Nations at UNISMUNC

Over the weekend, thirty students from John Jay’s Model United Nations Club competed at the United Nations International School’s Model UN Conference. This conference featured over 200 delegates from schools throughout the tristate area. The delegates competed in six committees with topics ranging from the adherence to international law to the rise of Norsefire in the United Kingdom House of Commons.

John Jay has a rising Model United Nations program. Since the creation of JJMUNC in 2014, the club has not gone without an award for a single conference. Many of these awards have been won by Senior members, Ike Radin, Simrit Uppal, Lizzy Parry, and Daniel Gordon, along with Junior members Lucy Siegel and Kailas Amin. In addition, the Sophomore group has received recognition for consistently winning awards in the past two conferences. As for the Freshman, recruitment and education representatives from the Model UN club say that the Freshman class is the largest in Model UN’s history.

Four JJ students won awards at UNISMUNC: L-R Elyse Sherr (Verbal Commendation), Daniel Gordon (Best Delegate), Simrit Uppal (Outstanding Delegate), and Sophia Decubellis (Verbal Commendation)

UNISMUNC is one of the most competitive day conferences in the Northeast as two top-5 schools (Dalton and Horace Mann), and several top-25 schools (Stuyvesant and Brooklyn Friends) also attend the conference. While JJMUN is not yet a ranked competitive team, reaching the top five this past Sunday was a great step towards a ranking.

Besides UNISMUNC, JJMUN also had great success competitively at Hunter College High School’s Model United Nations Conference (HunMUN). At HunMUN, John Jay was the de facto Best Delegation as JJMUN won gavels in three out of four committees, along with a slew of outstanding delegates, honorable mentions, and verbal commendations.

JJMUN has a packed conference schedule this year with overnight trips to DC, Boston, and Ithaca planned as well as one-day conferences in NYC and Trumbull. If you would like to join Model UN, the club meets every week after school on Thursday in Q102.