2017 Women’s Lacrosse: 2018 Outlook

Sophomore+Jenna+Giardina.+Image+from+LoHud.+

Sophomore Jenna Giardina. Image from LoHud.

The John Jay Women’s lacrosse team’s season was abruptly ended by the Huskers of Yorktown.  The two teams met in the semifinals of the Section 1 tournament, John Jay as the 4 seed and Yorktown claiming the 1 seed.  The Huskers defeated the Indians by a score of 14 to 7, as they continued on to capture the Section 1 title.  John Jay finished with a final record of 11-7 after coming out to a slow start.  The Indians, however, did have several key wins against toough competition.  For example, they had wins over Nyskayuna, Horace Greeley, Lakeland-Panas, and Scarsdale, among other impressive showings.

The Indians, coached by Catherine Huntington, graduate a tremendous senior class, losing all five senior captains in: Tristen Novak, Kaitlyn Ferentini, Jacque Manno, Paige Rossi and Teagan Cronin.  This graduating class leaves several large holes to fill, however, youth is nothing new to the Indians as the team has relied heavily on its younger players over the past two years. John Jay has high hopes for next years season as they return sophomore starters: Cara O’Reilly, Cameron Crawford, Jenna Giardina, Annie Conway, along with freshman Charlotte Wilmoth and Kelly Nolan.  Crawford, O’Reilly, Giardina and Wilmoth dominated the Indians’ offense as underclassmen.  While Conway and Nolan held it down defensively, accompanied by stellar goalkeeper Taylor Rice.  The team will also look to several rising seniors Annie Helmes, Sarah Sexton and Sarah McAvey, to take key leadership roles and to develop into serious contributors.

The John Jay Women’s lacrosse team, like the men’s team, are hoping to improve their outcome of this years season and possibly another shot against the Huskers of Yorktown.  The hopes remain high for this particularly young team as they hope the experience their younger players have already received will bring them to victory.